The key components of the Tech Trek model are as follows:
- Local AAUW Branches sponsor girls to attend camp
- Branches work with seventh-grade science, math, and/or technology teachers who identify and nominate candidates to attend Tech Trek.
- Girls apply and are selected by their local branch to attend the camp.
- Attendees reside on the university campus for a week, Sunday to Saturday.
- During the week of camp, girls attend a daily STEM-related core class.
- Throughout the days and evenings, girls participate in hands-on activities, workshops, labs, etc.
- On-campus field trips enhance STEM learning.
- Girls interact daily with female STEM role models.
- Girls hear from female STEM professionals at a Professional Women’s Night.